Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mother's Day and Anniversary Musings

          I guess I should preface this post with a little history.  The past three years Justin and I have wanted to start a family.  We got pregnant in Sept 2009, only to lose the baby 9 weeks later.  It’s been 2 and a half years since then, and despite many tests and doctors visits we’ve still yet to have another pregnancy or a glimpse of success.  We’ve been told our best bet is Invitro Fertilizaion which is really expensive.  Like 10,000 dollars per try, and usually it takes a couple tries for it to take. We do want to adopt, but I can’t help holding on to the dream of experiencing pregnancy and the birth of a child that looks like Justin or I.  
         It has definitely been a trial that I wouldn’t wish on anyone.  With Mother’s day only a couple of weeks ago, the whole journey so far has been fresh in my mind.  Needless to say Mother’s day can be really hard.  This year was good though.  I’ve learned that miscarriage and infertility are subjects that not a lot of people talk about openly.  There is this crazy shameful feeling that accompanies infertility.  Like you’ve done something wrong to deserve it, or that you are somehow broken, and it’s embarrassing.  But the reason this Mother’s day wasn’t so hard was because of the amazing support I have from those closest to me that know where I’ve been, and what we’re up against.  So I thought I’d stop hiding this HUGE part of my life, and get it out there. 
        Infertility is hard.  It totally sucks, and is unfair and heartbreaking.  But I am not infertile.  That is not who I am, rather a very small part of me.  I am and have so much more to be grateful for and focusing on.  Why has it taken me so long to realize this?  I don’t know.  I want children.  It is a need in me that is so strong and poignant.  It is indescribable.  But that does not define me.  If having and raising children is what defines me, than I am in real trouble.  What have the last 27 years been about?  I am a valuable, terrific person.  Me.  Lauren.  Just me alone.  But for six years now, I am not just Lauren.  I am not even just the Lauren Gann my parents raised.  I am Lauren Gann Hansen.  My life forever changed the day I agreed to take his name.  We are irreversibly tied to one another in name and destiny.  We are.  Not “he is” and “she is.”  It is we.  It always will be.  It may become a “we” with children, or it may not.  But “we” is permanent.  It is forever.  It became so in our hearts June 6, 2006 and finally in God’s eyes and on paper on December 29, 2007.
           Everything I was and had become up until June 6, 2006 suddenly made so much sense after we were married.  I was engineered perfectly to be his other half.  Everything fit so obviously.  My cheeriness and spunk to offset his seriousness and lack of outward emotion;  my silliness to bring out his;  his adventure and challenges to help me discover true hard work and joy in overcoming those challenges.    The more we learned about each other just made us more grateful that we’d listened to God and bound ourselves together.  We’ve been through a lot since we met:  Separation, repentance, faith, worthiness, temple blessings, adventure, disappointment, grief, pain, frustration, joy, happiness, heartbreak, fear, relief, divine direction and strength.  We passed through all this and so much more.  But even with the many separations we were always one.  We went through it together.  
          I know that over the past three years I’ve had many, many days where I took all of this for granted.  Sometimes it is so easy to focus on what you don’t have than what you do.  It can all seem so unfair until sometimes you gain a glimpse of all that you have.  It’s kind of like when you are really upset because you are cold all of the time in the winter, and you are sick of it.  Then you find out someone you know has a terminal illness and all of the sudden you feel like a silly, silly girl that has no perspective on life.  Well that pretty much sums up me off and on for the past couple of years.  The struggle to add to our family is not nearly over.  In some ways I feel like we’ve just begun, but I try to remember that the most important member is already here; my better half.  I’m so glad he chose me almost 7 years ago.  I have chosen grief and bitterness too much over him.  It is hard with infertility because every month is a new disappointment.  It isn’t one event that can fade and get better.  It is a new fresh wound that seems to never heal all the way.  But I choose him.  I choose him over my own selfishness.  I choose him over my infertility battle.  I choose him because I know that I cannot handle any of these fights without him.  With him by my side and with God’s spirit and guidance in our life, we can overcome any and all battles that come.
       I received a great Mother’s day gift from my sweet mother in law this year that really helped me through that day, and I’m sure many too come.  It is a book called The Sweet, Still Waters of Home, by Carol Lynn Pearson.   It goes through phrase by phrase the 23rd Psalm of David from the Old Testament and gives insight from a Mother’s perspective.  My favorite part is this:

“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
       In our lives, my love, there is also The Valley of the Shadow of Death.  And unpredictably we are called there.  Walking that narrow path we know darkness, disaster, anxiety, loneliness, disappointment, and anguish.  I have traveled though that place more than once.  The Lord my Shepherd was with me.  As were friends who warmed me, walked with me and kept me from looking down.

I know that you too will be called to enter that demanding valley.  And I promise that you will not need travel it alone.  The Lord our Shepherd will be with you.  I will be with you.
And always, always I will say to you-  

Child, there is purpose to this path.  You have been led here.  Look up, not down.  This path leads to the high country where there is sun and clear water and birds and the greenest of pastures.  Remember my precious one that it is only the shadow of death we meet, a dark pretender.
And remember too, we go through this dark valley.  We do not make our home here living on the ragged weeds of grief and resentment and fear.  We go through the valley, as sure-footed as we can, reaching the high place of joy.”

I know this is a long post with no pictures, but I hope the 2 people who read my blog will forgive me, since I almost never post without pictures. I'm planning to post some of my favorite pictures of Justin and I soon with our 6th anniversary this coming week.  And if you ever have questions about our journey through all of this, please ask. It doesn’t make me sad, or remind me that I’m struggling.  It’s always on my mind, so it’s good sometimes to be able to voice some of that out loud.  And please don’t feel guilty if you are or become pregnant and don’t want to tell me.  I am and will be happy for you, there just might be a bittersweet moment our two in there.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Hey Lauren! It is a blessing to have you and Justin in my and Peter's life. Thank you for being there. Keep on keeping on! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

You're such a strong person and I admire your testimony and your faith! Love you guys!!!

Jodi said...

3 comments! That's more than 2 people;) My friend is doing a project on infertility & pregnancy loss...maybe you would like reading it

http://www.jackienorrisphoto.com/search/label/infertility%20and%20pregnancy%20loss

We have so many friends struggling with this, you are not alone! Just keep putting one foot in front of another, right?!

Tia said...

Lauren this was as beautifully written as you are! I don't have anything better to say than I love you. I'm always here for you no matter how dark the days seem. I know Heavenly Father knows you and loves you, he feels the ache in your heart and in your empty arms. I honestly pray for you and hope that he will comfort you until the day the sweet desires of your heart are answered. You and Justin are perfect together, isn't it funny how that works so wonderfully. Now let's hang out and party!

Brook said...

Ha! Now I make five people who read your blog. First, let me say that I am very sorry for this difficult experience. It is really hard for people who haven't been there to empathize - I just know from seeing many other friends go through the same experience that it is hard, hard, hard.

Now, I say this next part as someone who has had two successful pregnancies and has two awesome kids, but one of the things I am most grateful for in mortality is that we all suffer together. I am convinced that, one way or another, we all have the same sort of trials and experiences. Everybody feels alone and rejected sometimes, even if they get married early and are surrounded by friends. Everybody feels scared and anxious about the future sometimes, even if they are set for cash and have great prospects. And everybody feels broken and ashamed sometimes. I know I have.

In summary, my trials are not your trials, and your trials are not mine. I believe that our life experiences are specifically tailored to maximize our growth, by being both specifically difficult for us individually to deal with, and yet at the same time specifically manageable.

So I applaud your celebration of life and especially marriage. I think many people would envy what an awesome bond you and Justin have, and I am so happy that this trial seems to have brought you even closer together! You are right - this trial need not define you. Thanks for being an awesome example.

Justin said...

Thanks for all your love and comments everyone. I am so blessed with great friends. And guess what? There is a GREAT article about infertility in June's Ensign. :)

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha, that was really me, Lauren not Justin :)

Tina said...

Lauren, it pains me to see you two go through this!! Thank you for sharing, as it can be hard to do. Know that you are loved by many and will be the greatest parents when that milestone comes. You two are perfect for each other, every time we are together I am reminded of that!
We love you guys and miss you!